Monday, September 8, 2008

Old King Coal Festival

If you grew up in southern Illinois, and in particular West Frankfort, then the Old King Coal Festival is something that you would've looked forward to every September. Even though it was always a bummer to go back to school the festival was the summer's last shout before autumn settled in. Autumns in southern Illinois were always breath-taking with its changing foliage and wood smoke in the air. The festival itself dates back many years and since southern Illinois is full of coal why not have a festival? The last time I went was 1990 but as a child I would never miss it. If my parents didn't take me my eldest sister did when she was at home. Once I hit Jr. High I would go by myself. It was always fun to walk around the Midway, toss the hoops to win a prize or eat some cotton candy. The rides were always spectacular too. I died a thousand deaths on the Hurricane, Super Tempest and Round-Up. Now, when I smell funnel cakes, I instantly think of the Old King Coal Festival. I truly believe that our memory is in our noses. If you're ever near West Frankfort and it's mid September stop in for some Old King Coal fun.



http://www.oldkingcoal.com/

No comments:

Powered By Blogger